Google

Saturday, January 28, 2006

The big smoke

We'll I made it, the bus ride was a killer, the bus driver wanted to stop every hour 1/2 for some ungodly reason so the expected sleep I was kind of banking on got thrown out the window. Did get about 2 solid hours in, when I awoke and realised that we were at the first stop in Rio Gallegos; the airport. I thought I would jump off here, either check my bags in or store them in the custodia, jump in a taxi and get my sorry, tired arse into town for some breaky.

The driver seemed shock when I wanted to get out at the airport, why I soon figured out when I walked in and realised that I was 1 of 4 people in the terminal. Except for the bodyguard, there was no-one working yet and the only other people that were there were asleep in the corner (it was just after 7 in the morning). I checked what time the next flights were so I knew when the check-in counter would open up, but the news got worse. My flight was the first for the day for Aerolineas Argentinas and that was in 4 1/2 hours. The airport was modern, clean and seemed safe so I pulled together some chairs and nestles in for some beauty sleep to pass the time.

I woke about half an hour later, still with about 3 1/2 hours to go. It was pointless to head into town with all my shit so I just plugged the great time killer i-pod in and got stuck into my book. About 5 minutes before I could of been legally declared insane, the check-in counter opened and I was able to rid myself of my belongings. Co-incidently, so did the airport cafe and seeing as I only had 2 hours till departure, it was a much easier option than heading into town, plus the Australian Open was on live, much more interesting than the book I had been reading for the last couple of hours. Great to be back in the land of cheap eats (even in airports) and real coffee, not this nescafe shit you get everywhere in Chile.

We landed late, which isn't surprising considering when I asked the flight attendant what time we got in she replied with 'Could be 2:20, could be 2:30 mas o menos (give or take)', a standard answer you get to every how long question (we got in 5 before 3). I raced to get my bags, grabbed a cab, had a shower (no time to shave), bought some flowers and chocolates, made a dinner reservation, grabbed another cab to the international airport with 5 minutes to spare before Lilla walked out to greet me.

Dinner was awesome, our 4 star apartment is awesome, this city is awesome! Since then we have caught up and gone out with my main man Martin who I met in Mendoza and David from Israel, another guy I was travelling with for a while. We went to our first 'superclub' which was a giant replica of the sydney operah house on the bay. We have dined, checked out cool suburbs, shopped, eaten away and soaked up the sunshine on our rooftop spa and today at a massive public outside swimming complex where we needed medical inspections before being abled to enter the water (fucked up, I know).

I have finally been able to upload some photos, but not yet up to date. I am off to a tango show tonight so need to get back to the apartment to get ready, but will hopefully have them completed tomorrow. But check'em out anyway, they're awesome!

Anyway, till then, signin out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home