Google

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Don´t Trust the Swiss: Too Neutral

OK, so the 25km walk that I headed out for this morning turned into about 60km when I decided to take advice from a Swiss guy that travelled down from Bariloche on our tour. I stated walking down the road that he suggested, I even confirmed the road on the map, which unfortunately for me didn´t show distances. I walked for about an hour before I decided that I might as well hitch to the path entrance.

The first car that drove past decided to stop and give me a lift. They knew the entrance that I was talking about so I thought all was good and that I was actually saving time as I did not have to walk as far so I would definitely be able to make the bus tonight. The guy pointed me in the right direction and I was off.

The path seemed a little less busy than the others I have been on throughout Patagonia and was not exactly marked, but I trekked on. After about 45 minutes I came across someone who I was able to chat with and find out exactly what I was supposed to be doing. He told me that the trip I was taking was definitely possible, but was about 5 hours from where I was, which was a little frustrating considering the original trek commencing 5 minutes away from where I was staying was only 4 hours in each direction and it had taken me over 2 hours to get to where I was now. Some shortcut?!

Fuck this, I thought as I headed back to the road, I haven´t got time for this; I´ve got to be on a bus to Calafate in 6 hours. I headed back to the road where I thought it would once again be easy to grab a ride, but ended up walking about 1 1/2 hours before anyone even shot past. It could be worse I guess, I could still be sweating, struggling with tired legs and only half way back to the hostel by now.

My advice to you: Don´t trust the Swiss & only ever ask a local for directions.

All was not lost; I was able to catch a glimpse of Mount Fitzroy before it clouded over which possibly may have been missed should I have gone the original way into the park due to the angle of the track. Hey, you gotta look at the positives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home